Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Surrealist, contemplating and languishing


Andrew Torch sends this detail of one of the pieces in his one-man show at PSTL Gallery, 3842 Washington Blvd. , that opens on Friday, 6-9 p.m.

"Although she doesn't know it yet, Stefene Russell's poem, Go South for Animal Index, indirectly inspired another work of art from me that I have been contemplating and languishing over for almost a year," Andy writes in an email.

"It is loosely based on the WWII, top-secret, Tesla-inspired projects of space-time compression."

The piece is titled Montauk '43 (look it up - the links I find are all too far out to send you to), and this image represents the lower 1/4 of the work.

Andy's news belongs on the Poetry Scores blog because he is a faithful contributor to our Art Invitationals. As he suggests, Montauk '43 is an outgrowth of his work on the Art Invitational to Go South for Animal Index (2007).

I had every intention of bringing my child to see Andy's show on Friday, but now I am told we are taking the girl to Branson so she can do kid's stuff in celebration of her birthday.

Me in Branson, at this point in my life ... I'll be a candidate for "space-time compression." Might even be a little "contemplating and languishing" going on.

No comments: