Thursday, February 5, 2009

We're having a Grammy party for Adam Long 2nite!


Nothing like the last minute, but I hope some folks join us tonight at The Royale (3132 S Kingshighway Blvd.) as we celebrate with Adam Long from 8-11 p.m.

Unbelievably, for an independent studio engineer living in St. Louis, two records he recorded, mixed and mastered - Gypsy: The Original Broadway Cast Recording and Our World Redeemed, by local gospel hip-hopper Flame - have been nominated for a 2008 Grammy.

At the Grammy Launch Party on Friday night, DJ Matt Fernandes and DJ Nico DiCastro will spin only recordings recorded, mixed, or mastered by Adam Long. The complete list would be impossible to provide - Adam has forgotten more sessions than most people have recorded - but suffice it to say he has done it all - rock, rap, classical, poetry score, gospel, R&B, ambient, you name it.

Adam mixes and masters our Poetry Scores CDs, on a pro bono basis. He does this because he likes the creative challenge of our odd, eclectic records, and to keep his own freaky creative side alive outside of his more commercial work with clients. I'd like to think the opportunity it gives him and me to drink beer all night and eat chicken wings at the lesbian bar has something to do with it, too.

I have spoken with a number of people who think our 2007 poetry score, Go South for Animal Index, is the best thing we have ever done. I agree, and I know Adam has a lot to do with that - he mixed, mastered, and helped to record the tracks. Here is a selection from that score that shows the range of his sonic innovation and skill.

Free mp3s

"The yellow monster"
(Matt Fuller, Chris King, Stefene Russell)
Three Fried Men
(With Richard Selman on mbira)

"Our hero"
(Matt Fuller, Chris King, Stefene Russell)
Three Fried Men

"O Doctor Roentgen"
(Matt Fuller, Chris King, Stefene Russell)
Three Fried Men

This guitar solo is basically Adam's - he compiled it digitally from a bunch of takes Matt didn't like.

"The new sparkly bark arfs"
(Matt Fuller, Chris King, Stefene Russell)
Three Fried Men

"Tell me what is the power"
(Amy Camie, Chris King, Stefene Russell)
Amy Camie, Tim McAvin, Christopher Y. Voelker

Adam having fun with source sounds, strings and walkie talkies!

"The perfect day"
(Matt Fuller, Chris King, Stefene Russell)
Three Fried Men
(With Christopher Y. Voelker on strings)

2 comments:

Richard Selman said...

I wish I was there. The little time I have has a large space in my heart. Great tracks!

rs

Richard Selman said...

Curse the evil word verification!

I guess here is pretty good if I am not there.

I meant to say in the previous - the little time I have spent with Adam has a large space in my heart. For real! Pamberi ne hondo!