Friday, September 11, 2009

Grace Woodard: from cow town to harbour city



These are images that Grace Woodard posted to her Flickr site in December 2007, titled "Rail car graffiti flowers". She tagged them "Baxter Springs" and "Kansas".

An old cow town in Kansas could hardly have less in common with Australia's great harbor city of Sydney, but it was the beauty of these images that, after an hour or so of browsing on her Flickr, motivated me to ask Grace if she would contribute to the 2009 Poetry Scores Art Invitational.

I was happy when she said yes!

She and I have skads of mutual friends, one of the things that made browsing her Flickr interesting, though I can't say I really "know" Grace. I could tell from looking at her very interesting pictures that she makes more kinds of art than photographs, so I don't even know if she is working in this medium for our show.

I do look forward to seeing what art she makes in response to The Sydney Highrise Variations by Les Murray, and what scrap of language from the poem she chooses for the title of the work, which is the premise of the show.

No comments: